Skip to main content

'This Is Us' - An Emotional Roller Coaster


Kevin to his worried teenage niece: "You know this whole idea of not knowing who you are deep down inside, that's my life story. But I will tell you one thing that I have learnt. I don't think we figure out exactly who we are all at once. I think it happens over a long period of time, like, piece by piece you know! 

Take me for instance. A couple of years ago, I get close with your dad(with whom he had a strained relationship since childhood). And I find a piece of myself. And then when I meet your aunt (his girl friend), I find another piece of myself. honey that's how it works. I think we go through this life slowly but surely collecting these little pieces of ourselves that we can't live without, until, eventually we have enough of them to where we... we feel WHOLE." (Episode 18, Season 3)



 In 2017, when I watched Khubsoorat (2014), I started admiring Fawad Khan for his charm and watched a couple of interviews of him on YouTube. In one of the interviews, he was asked a question, "Recent show that you binge watched" in a rapid fire round to which he answered "This Is Us". I immediately googled it and read the plot but didn't attempt to watch as I was too lazy to binge an entire series to know the story. It was only in 2019 again, ‘This Is Us’ popped up again on amazon prime. Accidentally I started watching it and was mind-blown just after 3 episodes. Why 'This Is Us' makes us very emotional, relateable, makes us think and makes us embrace the beauty of life, death, pain, addiction, uncertainities, fights, insecurities and many other issues which are always considered negative things and are supposed to be suppressed or brushed away? 

Superficially, this is the story of the journey of three siblings and their struggles to get along with life. To give an introduction, Kevin and Kate are twins born to Jack and Rebecca and Randall is their third son who was adopted and of Afro-American origin. Kevin, who is an actor and who looks all sorted out struggles a lot with his addiction of alcohol (which runs in his genes), unstable relationships and commitment issues etc. Kate, who is twin sister of Kevin struggles with obesity since childhood and develops a insecurity and cold attitude towards her mom, Rebecca, in an attempt to live up to her (who is just perfect). Randall, who is super intelligent and has a good job, wife and two beautiful kids, struggles with his continuous quest in search of his biological father, his perfectionism as a dad, husband, son and a dreamer of many great things. One life line to all the three siblings was their dad JACK. Jack is the most wonderful father and husband one could ever imagine. Despite his troubling childhood, alchohol issues and other past stories, he just works on being a perfect father and husband. He gives up on his dream of construction for his family and settles down for a desk job. Jack's death when the siblings were in their teenage shakes the family and seems like it haunts them all through their lives. In fact, Jack's death doesn't just haunt the siblings but it haunts us too. Every minute while watching the show, we will hate the fact that Jack died. 

'This is us' beautifully shifts between the past and present of the stories of all the characters in the show. The shifts and the stories are so important as we realize how childhood, parenthood and old patterns define who we are in the present. Every message in the show is subtle and meaningful. We learn how to sort out a fight after watching them fight and patch up. We learn how to live with differences after watching the characters get along. We learn how to love beyond limits. We also realize no matter how good of a parent we are, blame on us comes very easy. But one thing that takes us a life time is to be like Jack and Rebecca. They are a crazy couple and make us fall in love with them every single time they are on screen. 

The writers' brilliance, the actors' versatility and the musician's magic surely makes us cry. For me, two men who evidently stand out are Milo Ventimiglia who played the character of Jack Pearson and Siddhartha Khosala, music director of the series. It cannot be explained in words. In the funeral scene of Jack, the sadness due to death of Jack coupled with the soul stirring background music by Siddharth Khosla makes us sob endlessly and I am not kidding. I never bothered to change my phone ringtone which basically was set to a default ringtone and 99% of the times is on silent. After 8 years of buying my smart phone, I changed my ringtone to "Jack's theme music" :D To me, each and every character is a lesson to learn, each and every dialogue is worth remembering. 

Hence, if you are a bit emotional like me and if you don't know what to do during your lock down, you can surely watch "This Is Us" and I bet you will not be disappointed. Here are some beautiful quotes from 'This Is Us'. And yes, all thanks to Fawad Khan :P :D 








Source for the photos: Pinterest

Comments

  1. Wonderful write-up.

    వెంటనే చూసేయాలి, అనేలా రాశారు!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood Chronicles 1- Nursing Journey: A Transcendent Experience

It has been quite some time since I last had the chance to pen down my thoughts. Even after several sleepless nights with Mihira, my beloved baby, amidst the hectic whirlwind of university work and choreography commitments, along with looming deadlines, an unusual serenity blankets my mind today. Perhaps it's the soft drizzle outside, combined with the earthy smell of rain, that has brought me a sense of peace . However, I suspect it's more than just the weather; it's the satisfaction of having met a crucial deadline yesterday. Productivity brings a unique sense of fulfillment. On that happy note, I dusted off my blog today with the intention of finally writing about an experience I've long wanted to share. My experience of nurturing and feeding my child. Where and how should I begin? It all began with uncertainty, fear, and a profound lack of preparation. I simply followed my baby's cues, heeded the doctor's guidance, and listened to the wisdom of my elders. M
The Most Courageous Act – To Love Yourself That was my first Zumba session at my newly joined Gym (which includes cardio, endurance, flexibility training, yoga, Zumba and other outdoor activities). I, being a dancer, was very skeptic and prejudiced about the session for two reasons. 1. I am a classical dancer; I have never done anything like this. 2. Why should I join Zumba for fitness as I have my own dance form. I felt ridiculous and scolded myself for doing everything other than my dance practice. Then the trainer came in with a beautiful smile on her face. I could immediately sense her charm and positivity. She gave general instructions and asked if anyone of us danced before. I didn’t show off that I am a dancer and kept quite as I am sure I cannot do great Zumba on songs like ‘Kala Chashma’ and  ‘High heels pe nacche’ :-p . The session was good and I was amazed by the smiling and energetic face of the trainer. The way she carries herself while dancing is amazing. All throug

If You Don’t Heal What Hurt You, You’ll Bleed on People Who Didn’t Cut You

          "If You Don’t Heal What Hurt You, You’ll Bleed on People Who Didn’t Cut You."                                                                                                                            -Unknown                All the ruckus in the world is a result of not loving ourselves enough and not healing ourselves from what broke us. Anger, greed, jealousy, insecurity, lust, power are the emotions that we spill on others to meet our own shortcomings. This is because most of us run away from our emotions like grief, jealousy, insecurity and the like. We think that by running away, we can get rid of such emotions. In reality, it takes courage and strength to completely experience such emotions. Once we experience them and be witness to all the thoughts without shaking, we are free from those thoughts and experiences. That is what saints call "freedom". Freedom from the attachment to thought. Thought still exists, the memory still exists but our mind is